Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Wiki

I have used PB Wiki in the past, and I really liked it. One of the librarians in our district tried to get an elementary page started so that we could discuss items and collaborate more. Once I got the hang of it, I really liked it.
When I used the Wiki for this thing, it seemed very easy to use. I liked it a lot.

I know that a lot of librarians have issues with Wikipedia, but if it is used with your eyes being wide open to the fact that not all statements might be valid, it can be a great source for starting an information hunt. Wikipedia provides librarians with a great teachable moment in regards to sources, valid data, and research. From exploring this thing, it did make me aware that the site does try to provide some means of providing valid information. I was also very impressed with the comments of others on the site that I looked at. Several people commented that the information was wrong, and according to the history, it was either changed or removed.

No comments:

Post a Comment