Sunday, July 26, 2009

Tags

I think that tagging in the library is sort of like using Wikipedia. While some will say, "No way," others will say to use it, integrate it, but teach about authoritative sources. I think that tagging is similar. Anybody can pick the tag they want so it does not seem like there is a lot of consistency in this. On the other hand, if everybody is working on accessing information, maybe I might be able to find that elusive bit of information that I couldn't find before without that tag.

Today is about making sure that librarianship is not left behind as our users move forward into using new technologies. Thus, I don't think that tags can replace subject headings, but I do think they serve a purpose that can be helpful. . .just use them with the understanding that they are not always a sure thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment